More than 18,500 public workers dismissed with new emergency state decree

The Turkish government ordered the dismissal of more than 18,500 state employees including police officers, soldiers and academics, in a state of emergency decree published on July 8.

The Official Gazette said 18,632 people had been sacked including 8,998 police officers in the emergency decree over suspected links to terror organizations and groups that “act against national security.”

The gazette also said 148 others who had been earlier dismissed from public institutions and organizations were reinstated.

Some 3,077 army soldiers were also dismissed as well as 1,949 air force personnel and 1,126 from the naval forces.

Another 1,052 civil servants from the justice ministry and linked institutions have been fired as well as 649 from the gendarmerie and 192 from the coast guard.

Authorities also fired 199 academics, according to the new decree, while 148 state employees from the military and ministries were reinstated.

Turkey has been under a state of emergency since the July 2016 coup attempt.

Turkish media dubbed the decree as the “last” with officials indicating the state of emergency could end as early as July 9.The emergency has been renewed seven times and the latest period is officially due to end on July 19.

Over 110,000 public sector employees have been removed previously from their jobs via emergency decrees since July 2016 while tens of thousands more have been suspended.Turkey accuses U.S.-based Fethullah Gülen and his Fethullahist Terrorist Organization (FETÖ) of orchestrating the attempted coup.

The July 8 decree shut down 12 associations across the country as well as three newspapers and a television channel.Turkey’s Western allies have criticized over the dismissals but Ankara says the measures are necessary to combat threats to national security.     Source:hurriyetdailynews