Boeing resumes production of 737 MAX, founded after two fatal accidents

US giant Boeing on Wednesday announced the resumption of production of its flagship, 737 MAX, which has been in trouble due to two fatal accidents. The civil aviation authorities will then have to approve their return to service.

737 MAX is back. Boeing announced on Wednesday, May 27, that it had resumed production of this central aircraft for survival, spiked to the ground for more than a year after two near-misses that killed 346 people.

“The 737 program has slowly resumed assembly units, while implementing more than a dozen initiatives aimed at improving the safety of the work environment and the quality of the product,” he said on Wednesday. the giant in Seattle.

The return to the service, however, is not imminent, as Boeing still has to receive green light from civil aviation authorities for the changes made, especially on the MCAS anti-stall software involved in the two accidents.

A test flight monitored by the regulators is really necessary. Regulatory sources told AFP last week that this flight test would not take place before June, which is likely to shake up the Boeing schedule, which hopes to return to the sky at 737 MAX “mid-2020”.

Job cuts

The group suspended production of 737 MAX in January in an effort to alleviate strong tensions between its former CEO, Dennis Muilenburg, and civil aviation authorities and client airlines.

This aircraft represents more than two-thirds of the order book and is central to aircraft manufacturers’ medium-term survival, which, like all air transport, suffers from the health crisis.

In addition to returning to the service, there are still uncertainties about the resumption of deliveries of 737 MAX, suspended for one year. Meanwhile, on Wednesday, Boeing began detailing the reduction of 16,000 jobs, or 10% of the workforce through voluntary resignations and dry layoffs, announced in April to save money.

With AFP