A new attack was registered on Sunday against a humanitarian convoy in northern Burkina Faso and another in a market in the eastern country. These attacks, attributed to “armed terrorist groups”, have left dozens dead, according to a preliminary assessment.
Massacre attributed to jihadist groups left at least 50 dead Friday and Saturday in Burkina Faso: about 30 people were killed during the attack on a market in the east and at least 25 in attacks on two convoys in the north.
On Saturday, at the Kompienbiga cattle market near Pama (eastern Burkina), armed men burst onto motorcycles and began firing, especially at people trying to escape, said Sunday, May 31. “AFP a resident and puts the balance sheet at” thirty dead “.
“One group (attackers) searched for those who remained while another group pursued those who fled,” he said.
“It’s hard to say how many people were killed. There were bodies in the market, others in the bush. More than thirty bodies gathered yesterday,” said another resident, “without news” of his brother currently in the market during the attack.
>> See: UN Refugee Commissioner: “Sahel States are in a difficult situation”
A local elected official in the province of Kompienga spoke to him about “several dozen dead, including traders and locals”.
“The preliminary charge for the cowardly attack on the Kompienbiga market is 25 dead and several injured,” according to an official statement from the government late Sunday.
The East Governor, Colonel Saidou Sanou, said in a press release that “this fifteenth attack perpetrated by peoples enemies will once again remember the need for sincere cooperation between the FDS (Defense and Security Forces) and populations to defeat terrorism.”
Northern Burkina Faso, an area where attacks are frequent
On Saturday, an attack on a humanitarian convoy left at least 10 dead north of Barsalogho (northern Burkina) near the already infamous town of Foubé / Foulbé – the name varies depending on ethnicity Peule or Mossi -, according to the government’s statement.
“The attack on the Foubé-Barsalogho axis, committed by armed terrorist groups, targeted a humanitarian convoy returning from Foubé after taking food there. The preliminary death toll is 10 dead (5 civilians, 5 gendarmes).”
>> Read: In Burkina Faso, civilians in jihadists’ cross chairs
This area where attacks are often had been the scene of significant violence between the community with 50 dead according to the official balance sheet, more than 70 according to Peul sources.
After an attack by suspected Yirgou-Foulbè jihadists, villagers of Mossi ethnicity, the majority in Burkina, had attacked the Peuls. President Roch Kaboré had moved to relieve the tension.
On Sunday, “SDF, deployed at the two sites, ensures the evacuation of the wounded and performs sweeping operations,” according to the press release.
These two deadly attacks occur after a convoy of traders Friday also in the north (Loroum). “The preliminary assessment causes 15 dead, wounded and missing persons,” according to a press release Saturday from the government, which speaks of “terrorists”.