Thirteen years after the British girl Madeleine McCann disappeared in Portugal, the prosecutor in Brunswick, Germany, announced on Thursday that an investigation into murder had begun, after identifying a new suspect, a German already convicted of pedophilia.
The Prosecutor’s Office in Germany announced on Thursday (June 4) that the investigation into the new suspect in Madeleine McCann’s disappearance in Portugal in Portugal, known as Maddy, a three-year-old child, had been opened for murder.
“The prosecutor in Brunswick is investigating a 43-year-old German who is suspected of murder. You can conclude that we think the little girl is dead,” Hans ChristianWolters, a lawyer for Brunswick, said at a press conference. MaddieMcCann, a British national, disappeared from her hotel room on May 3 during a family vacation in the Algarve, Portugal, while her parents dined with friends nearby.
A pedophile with several repetitions
The suspect, a 43-year-old German man, already convicted of pedophilia, and currently incarcerated in Germany. Marking a new development in this news that kept the planet going, the German police announced on Wednesday that they would investigate the new suspect and launched an appeal to witnesses.
The girl’s parents, Gerry and Kate McCann, “are grateful and welcome this call to witnesses. They just want to know what happened to their daughter, find out the truth and bring the perpetrators to justice,” said their door-wire, Clarence Mitchell, at BBC.
“They have not lost hope of finding her alive, despite the passing of time. (…) But they are realistic and say that no matter the outcome of this call to witnesses (…), they need to know to find peace, ”he added.
Like the British police, the family spokesman called the identification of the suspect “important” in the case, which hit the headlines of most British newspapers on Thursday.
“Thousands of leads and potential suspects mentioned earlier or discussed in the media. There has never been anything so clear, not from a police force, but from three police forces,” he said. -he says.
The new suspect is said to have lived for several years in a house near Praia daLuz and has worked in the region, especially in catering. He was identified by “close cooperation” between the German, British and Portuguese police, following information received by the British following an appeal initiated in connection with the 10th anniversary of the disappearance.
Two phones and two vehicles
After 14 months of controversial investigations, especially marked by the charge against the girl’s parents before they were whitewashed, after the dismissal of the inspector responsible for the investigation, the Portuguese police had closed the case in 2008 before the file was opened five years later.
The British police had launched its own investigation in July 2013. For its part, the Portuguese judicial system indicated that it is continuing the investigation and that it interviewed witnesses as part of the investigation.
According to the German police, there are indications that the suspect also served his life by “committing crimes, including burglaries in hotel complexes and holiday apartments”, as well as drug trafficking.
The information specifically relates to two phone numbers and two vehicles it would have used: a dark color Jaguar XJR 6 registered in Augsburg, Bavaria, and a Volkswagen T3Westfaliablanc van and yellow with a Portuguese plate.
The British police, who described the suspect as a slim, short-haired white man about 1.80 meters in 2007, said he would have lived in the van “for several days, even weeks”. and that he may have used May 3, 2007, the day of Madeleine McCann’s disappearance.
Several British magazines cite comments made last year by the former GoncaloAmaral investigative police. He then said that investigators were once again focusing on a German pedophile, which had been removed from the list of suspects in 2008 and which included Madeleine in online discussions.
With AFP and Reuters