Former King of Spain Juan Carlos, who is the subject of Saudi corruption investigation

The Spanish Supreme Court has announced that an investigation is underway to determine whether former King Juan Carlos has a criminal liability in an alleged corruption case when Saudi Arabia led the construction of TGV between Mecca for a Spanish consortium and Medina.

His reign had already been plagued by scandals. His pension can also be disturbed by business. Former King of Spain Juan Carlos is being investigated for corruption on facts that occurred after his abdication in 2014, the Spanish Supreme Court announced on June 8.

The former monarch is suspected of having received a commission for concession of a contract of EUR 6.7 billion for the construction of a high-speed train between Mecca and Medina to a consortium of Spanish companies. “It would be a possible corruption offense in international business transactions,” the prosecutor says.

Swiss newspaper Tribune de Geneva said in early March that Juan Carlos 2008 had received $ 100 million from King Abdullah, Saudi Arabia, in an account in Switzerland for a Panamanian foundation. In the same month, the daily The Daily Telegraph reported that Felipe VI, the current king and son of Juan Carlos, was also a beneficiary of this foundation.

Mistress, immunity and “exemplarity”

Following the publication of these articles, Felipe VI withdrew his father an annual endowment from the Royal Palace estimated at more than € 194,000 a year. Then he announced that he was giving up his father’s legacy “to preserve the crown’s exemplar”.

The case against her father had opened in September 2018, following the publication of recordings by the former mistress of Juan Carlos, Corinna Zu Sayn-Wittgenstein, where she accused him of corruption. But by virtue of his immunity, only the Supreme Court can attempt to identify the former monarch’s responsibilities, now 82 years old, and only for acts committed after his abdication.

“The purpose of this investigation is precisely to determine or exclude the relevance (of a criminal prosecution) of the events that occurred after June 2014, the date the king’s emeritus ceased to be protected by inviolability,” the prosecutor added in a press release.

With AFP