According to a report by the UN Secretary-General, drones and missiles used in several attacks in Saudi Arabia and Yemen are “of Iranian origin”. A statement that was denied by the Iranian mission to the UN “categorically rejects the reports in the report”.
Cruise missiles and drones, used in four attacks in 2019 against Saudi Arabia, “are of Iranian origin” with articles exported to Iran or manufactured in Iran, said a report by the UN Secretary General released to the Security Council on Thursday.
“The UN lacks expertise to conduct sophisticated investigations” and “Iran categorically rejects report findings” on its participation in the attacks in Saudi Arabia or in weapons seized by the United States, responded on Friday in a announced Iranian mission to the UN.
The report by Antonio Guterres on the application of Resolution 2231, which approved the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran, describes the investigation of debris from cruise missiles and drones used in the attacks on Saudi oil installations in Afif, in May 2019, in Abqaiq and Khurays, in September 2019 and from Abha International Airport in June and August 2019.
Saudi oil installations attacked
“The Secretariat believes the cruise missiles and / or some of their components used in the four attacks are of Iranian origin,” the document said.
Regarding the air vehicles used in the attacks on Saudi oil installations in May and September 2019, “the Secretariat considers that the drones or any of their components used in the two attacks are of Iranian origin,” the UN chief added. .
>> Read also: Why the murder of Qassem Soleimani leaves the oil markets unmatched
In September, several attacks on the oil plants of the Saudi company Aramco had been spectacular, causing extensive damage and temporarily halving Saudi Arabia’s production of black gold.
In late September, France, Germany and the United Kingdom joined the United States to accuse Tehran of being “responsible” for the attacks.
Suspicions about Iranian weapons found in Yemen
The report also examines US weapons seizures outside Yemen, believed to be aimed at Houthi rebels, November 25, 2019 and February 9, 2020.
Weapons or parts of these weapons “are of Iranian origin” or have properties similar to Iranian productions, the report specifies by eliciting missile launchers produced in 2016, 2017 and 2018 and optical weapons targets delivered to Iran between February 2016 and April 2018.
>> Read also: Attacks on Saudi Arabia: “Houthis favored by Iranian technology”
Parts “may have been transmitted inconsistently with Resolution 2231”, notes the UN Secretary General and also notes that some of them are identical or similar to elements found in the attacks on Saudi Arabia. during 2019.
“A series of serious errors”
In a letter of May 22, Iran indicated that “it was not (its) policy to export arms in violation of the arms embargo prescribed by the Security Council,” the chief of the ministry said. U.N. Tehran also claimed that “Resolution 2231 does not prohibit the transfer of weapons from Tehran,” he added.
In its statement on Friday, the Iranian mission said the report contained “a series of serious errors”. She also points out that her conclusions “reflect the same accusations from the United States” and see Washington’s hand accordingly.
The UN report finally returns to the satellite launched by Iran, which the West considers incompatible with the terms of resolution 2231. What is opposed by Iran, with the support of Russia, under a different interpretation of the text.