At least 20 people, including civilians and prisoners, were killed in the ongoing attack on a prison in eastern Afghanistan by fighters from the Islamic State (IS) jihadist group, Monday said. local authorities.
Gunmen stormed an Afghan prison on the evening of Sunday, August 2, in Jalalabad, after detonating a vehicle, killing at least 20 people, including civilians and prisoners, local authorities said on Monday.
If shooting with security forces left 20 dead, according to a spokesman for the provincial hospital, a spokesman for the provincial governor said 21 dead. The attack left 20,000 injured: “25 people were injured in the clashes,” a member of Jalalabad provincial council told Reuters.
The car bomb blast was followed by at least two small explosions outside the prison, where many Taliban and ISIS operatives are being held, said Sohrab Qaderi, a member of Jalalabad Provincial Council. .
Collisions then occurred between the police and assailants who had taken a seat near the prison.
An attack alleged by the Islamic State organization
In a statement released by its propaganda agency Amaq, the Islamic State organization claimed responsibility for the attack. The jihadists did not enter into a ceasefire between the Taliban and the security forces.
This attack, in which the Taliban insurgents denied any responsibility, broke a relative calm across the country. No clashes had been observed since the beginning of Friday of a three-day armed violence decided by the government and the Taliban in connection with the Muslim festivities in Eid al-Adha.
“This attack is not our fault. Our Moudjahidins do not yet have the authority to carry out attacks,” Zabihullah Mujahid, a rebel spokesman, said.
Dozens of prisoners fled
According to a senior Afghan security official who requested anonymity, some assailants managed to take a stand in one of the watchtowers and prevent the security forces from entering the prison.
A number – varying, according to the sources – of prisoners managed to escape, some of whom were recaptured. “About 100 prisoners, probably more, tried to escape from prison [mais la plupart ont été rattrapés]”, assured a spokesman for the police in Nangarhar.
Another security source who spoke of anonymity counted “at least 300” escaped prisoners and estimated that about two-thirds had been taken prisoner again. According to this source, the attackers shared weapons with prisoners.
The respect during the last 72 hours of arms between the Taliban and the Afghan authorities, only the third official interruption in the fighting in two decades of conflict, raised hopes of a breakthrough in the recent modest peace process.
President Ashraf Ghani and the insurgency have suggested that talks between the government and the Taliban could begin after Eid.
With AFP and Reuters