In a district in Beirut that was destroyed by the double explosion in the port on August 4, thermal scanners on Thursday discovered heartbeats under the rubble. Rescuers are still searching for a possible survivor on Friday.
One month after the double explosion in the port of Beirut, a survivor was discovered. Rescuers are looking for a possible survivor under the rubble on Friday, September 4.
The day before, a specialized team of Chilean rescuers, recently sent to Beirut, announced pulsations under the buildings in Gemmayzé, thanks to a sniffer dog and thermal scanners, the governor of the Lebanese capital.
In the hope of finding a survivor of the double explosion, which on August 4 destroyed entire areas of Beirut, killing 191 and injuring more than 6,500 people, members of the civil defense and rescuers by hand the building materials on Friday morning, an AFP stated -photographer. Two cranes made it possible during the night to remove walls that threatened to fall.
“We are constantly working. We have cleared walls, but we have not yet achieved a result,” Civil Defense Operations Chief George Abou Moussa told AFP.
Beirut governor Marwan Abboud told reporters on Thursday that there may be one or two bodies, and possibly a survivor, as units detected “heartbeats”.
“After removing the large debris, we performed new tests to monitor heart rate or respiration, and it revealed a low rate. […] seven beats per minute, “said Nicolas Saadeh, who coordinates research between the Chilean team and civil defense, on Friday, September 4. The day before, a rate of 16 to 18 beats per minute had been detected.
The research is all the more difficult because the building is no more than a pile of rubble.
Hope to find other survivors
Lebanon has neither the equipment nor the technical capability to deal with such disasters. Several countries quickly sent rescue and technical assistance teams after the explosion.
Stopping research under the building during the night angered some Lebanese on social networks.
The army said in a statement on Friday that the work was suspended for two hours at midnight “due to the risk of the collapse of one of the building’s cracked walls”.
The announcement on Thursday of a possible survivor under the rubble revived hopes of finding other survivors, although this is still unlikely, four weeks after the tragedy.
According to the Lebanese army, seven people are still missing.