The number of deaths continues to increase days after major landslides in Norway

Rescue workers have discovered a fifth body four days after a landslide buried a home near Norway’s capital, police said on Sunday, when the search is ongoing for five people who are still missing.

The tragedy occurred early on Wednesday when houses were destroyed and shifted hundreds of meters under a mud river at the village of Ask, 25 kilometers northeast of Oslo.

“Just before six o’clock a deceased person was found,” it is said in a police statement.

The discovery of a fourth body had been made on Saturday after three recovered the day before at the gloomy, snow-covered place in Ask in Gjerdrum municipality.

Police on Saturday identified the body of the first person found on Friday as 31-year-old Eirik Grønolen.

The identities of the four dead have not been released.

But on Friday, the police published a list with the names of all eight adults, a two-year-old and a 13-year-old child who disappeared on Wednesday.

The worst landslide in Norway in 30 years. Happened at 3 o’clock tonight.

Many people are not present and 1500 people have been evacuated.

My heart goes out to all the people who have lost their homes and belongings, and to the family and friends of the people who are still not found pic.twitter.com/WiOlBOrEzP

– Kristian Gabrielsen (@KristianGab_) December 30, 2020

Ten people were also injured in the landslide, including one seriously who was transferred to Oslo for treatment.

About a thousand people have been evacuated from a local population of 5,000, for fear of the safety of their homes as the country continues to move.

Search and rescue teams have used sniffer dogs, helicopters and drones in an attempt to find survivors.

The search teams also dug channels in the ground to evacuate the injured.

Experts say the disaster was a “rapid mudslide” of about 300 x 800 meters.

Fast clay is found in Norway and Sweden and is notorious for collapsing after becoming liquid in case of overload.

Prime Minister Erna Solberg described it as one of the largest landslides the country has ever experienced.

The Royal Court said in a statement that King Harald, his wife Sonja and Crown Prince Haakon would visit the disaster area later on Sunday morning.

(AFP)