President Donald Trump asked for options to attack Iran’s main nuclear power plant last week but finally decided to take the dramatic step, a US official said on Monday.
Trump made the request during a meeting on Thursday with his top national security assistants, including Vice President Mike Pence, his new acting secretary of defense Christopher Miller and General Mark Milley, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, the official said.
The official confirmed the story of the meeting in The New York Times, which reported that advisers persuaded Trump not to go ahead with a strike because of the risk of a broader conflict.
“He asked for alternatives. They gave him the scenarios and he finally decided not to move on,” the official said.